Fri 23
Fa cup report

Fa cup report

By Trevor Wing
Share via

Great cup win

Did you enjoy last night? We certainly did below is the match report on a unbelievable night for the club.


Full Time Score Whickham FC 1-2 Thornaby FC (FA Cup Preliminary Round)

Attendance: 296

Referee: Mark Ryan

Thornaby travelled to fellow Northern League Division 1 side Whickham FC in the Preliminary round of the FA Cup with Thornaby looking to bounce back from Tuesday nights 2-1 defeat vs Newton Aycliffe.

Thornaby made 3 changes from the 2-1 defeat with Jack Bailey, Joe Posthill and Liam Cooke coming into the side with Daniel Chapman, Ian Ward and Andrew Burton being replaced.

Thornaby had the first chance of the match when Ben Jackson played in Liam Cooke who seen his effort from just outside the box go past the post. Whickham took the lead in the 5th minute when Carl Finnegan played the ball to MATTHEW PATTINSON who turned and finished beautifully. The Lang Jacks had the next effort when Clark Kay's ball down the channel found Carl Finnegan who dummied the ball and it fell to Dale Burrell who seen his effort well saved by James Dawson. The home side then had the following effort when Matthew Pattinson was played through and Dawson blocked well in the visitors goal. Moments later came the matches turning point when Joe Posthill had the ball down the right wing and Kelvin Thear came in late and caught the Thornaby man and Referee Mark Ryan adjudged this to be a excessive force tackle and he sent Thear off. Thornaby gained confidence from this and looked to get back into the match and had the next effort when Liam Cooke showed great feet but he hit his effort straight at Bartlett. Thornaby levelled the match after some great football by the Teessiders seen the ball fall to Jordan Wilson whose fantastic cross found LEWIS MURPHY who bundled home for his 3rd goal of the season with 44 minutes gone. The home side had the final chance of a pulsating first half when Carl Finnegan picked up the ball 20 yards out and his effort just went over the bar.

Half time Whickham FC 1-1 Thornaby FC

The Teessiders had the following effort when Joe Scaife Wheatley's fantastic effort from 25 Yards was tipped onto the crossbar by Bartlett. The visitors looked to take the lead and almost did when Joe Posthill seen his effort well saved by the home keeper. Thornaby did take the lead when Jordan Wilson's cross from the left found LEWIS GREEN whose looping header found the net with 57 minutes gone. The visitors looked to increase the lead when Liam Cooke's pass found Lewis Murphy in front of goal and his effort was saved by the legs of Bartlett. Whickham had the next chance when Matthew Pattinson's pass found Finnegan whose effort was well saved by Dawson. Thornaby then regained control of the match when the ball was played to Lewis Murphy whose powerful effort from 20 yards was palmed into the air by Bartlett and he gathered the ball at the second attempt. With 82 minutes gone it looked as though Thornaby's hard work was about to be undone when Matthew Grieve was fouled in the penalty area and Carl Finnegan stepped and his penalty to the right was fantastically saved by Dawson. Thornaby then had the next effort when Ben Jackson's pass found Joe Posthill who seen his effort cleared of the line. The home side had the next chance when the ball fell to Scott Robson in the air and his header was superbly saved by Dawson.

Ref Mark Ryan blew to send the Thornaby fans and players into unbelievable joy.

Thornaby team

Dawson, Dougall, Wilson, Bailey, Guru, Joe Scaife (C) , Posthill, Green, Murphy, Cooke and Jackson.

Subs used


Man of the match: James Dawson

UTT ? ⚽

Share via

Match details

Match date

Fri 23, Aug 2019